As your little ones grow, their oral care needs will change. Luckily, there are plenty of products on the market specifically designed for young children. What better way to transition them toothbrushing than brushing their teeth with their favorite superhero or cartoon character on the tube. Most of these kinds of toothpaste help protect their tiny teeth against cavities and keep their gums healthy. It is common for parents to have a hard time judging how much dental care their children need.
Good dental care actually starts before a baby’s first tooth appears. Remember, just because you can’t see them, doesn’t mean their teeth are not there. Did you know that teeth actually begin to form in the second trimester of pregnancy? At birth, babies have 20 primary teeth, and some are already developed in their jaw. Babies can still develop tooth decay, especially if good feeding habits aren’t being implemented. For example, it’s common for parents to put their baby to sleep with a bottle. While it might be convenient but can harm the baby’s teeth in the long run.
As kids grow, you should begin planning routine dental checkups – as much as every 3 months to at least once a year. Your child’s dentist can give you recommendations. You should also limit sugary foods, encourage regular brushing and flossing, and ask your dentist for advice for good dental health.
Here are 7 of the top rated toothpastes for kids found at Target:
- Redmond Earthpaste Wintergreen Toothpowder: This toothpaste is all natural, contains no added glycerin, fluoride, SLS or Coloring. It is also vegan safe and gluten-free. It contains wintergreen essential oil. Price: $4.99
- Crest Kids Cavity Protection Blue Bubblegum Toothpaste Pump: This fluoride toothpaste strengthens enamel and has an easy to use, no mess pump – perfect for the little ones. This toothpaste also comes with a variety of different character designs, including Toy Story, Spiderman, and Star Wars. Price: $3.49
- Vitaminpaste Kids Toothpaste: this toothpaste is fluoride free and contains calcium for strong teeth and bones. It uses Xylitol to substitute for sugar and help as an anti-cavity agent. Price: $5.99
- Schmidt’s Coconut Pineapple Kid’s Toothpaste: This toothpaste is infused with vitamins and botanicals, contains no fluoride. It is infused with coconut oil, goji and pomegranate extracts, aloe leaf juice, and vitamin E. Price: $4.99
- Tom’s of Maine Wicked Cool! Tooth Paste: This fluoride-free toothpaste features a mild mint flavor for kids who have outgrown fruit or bubblegum flavors but don’t like the strong mint flavors found in many adult toothpastes. It’s gluten-free, cruelty-free, and halal and kosher-certified. Price: $7.19
- hello Natural Apple Toddler Training Toothpaste: This organic apple flavored training toothpaste was made to help your toddler be introduced to teeth brushing without fussing. It’s a clear gel that was formulated to gently clean your child’s teeth and delicate gums. It also contains soothing aloe vera and high quality sweeteners made from plants.
- Orajel PAW Patrol Fluoride Toothpaste: This toothpaste strengthens and protects teeth against cavities to keep young teeth healthy.