Achieve Good Oral Hygiene
Good oral hygiene is vital when it comes to the health of your teeth and it takes a lifetime of care to achieve it. If you have any question about oral hygiene, call Foothill Dental Care in Livermore at (925) 961-5484 to schedule an appointment for a dental examination today.
Here are some oral hygiene habits to adopt:
- You’re tired and you just finished binge-watching the newest season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix. You have an important decision: to brush or not to brush. Brushing for you go to sleep helps get rid of the germs and plaque that you’ve accumulated throughout the day. Don’t go to bed without brushing your teeth!
- There’s no point in brushing your teeth if you’re not doing it properly. Generally, dentists suggest taking your time and move in gentle circular motions. This will help remove plaque, which if not removed, can build-up and lead to gingivitis.
- Flossing your teeth is just as important as brushing them. It not only removes food from between teeth, but it also stimulates the gums, reduces plaque build-up and helps lower inflammation. Flossing right before bed, after a long day, is ideal. There are also other tools to help if using string is hard for you, including the Waterpik and stick floss.
- When it comes to oral health, we often forget about the tongue. Neglecting to clean the tongue can not only lead to bad breath, but you’re basically leaving your mouth full of bacteria.
- Fluoride is a leading defense against tooth decay. It fights against the germs and provides a protective barrier for teeth. There are many kinds of toothpaste and mouthwashes that contain fluoride and should be implemented into your routine.
- Water, water, water! Water is the best beverage for overall health. Try drinking a glass of water after every meal. This can help wash out your mouth and lessen the negative effects of the sticky and acidic things you consume between brushing your teeth.
- Sugar converts into acid in your mouth, which in turn can erode the enamel of your teeth, which generally leads to the formation of cavities. Citrus fruit, teas, and coffee can also wear down enamel. This doesn’t mean that you must avoid these kinds of foods, it’s just smart to be aware of the effect some foods have on your teeth.
- Eating fresh and crunchy fruits and vegetables is not only a good way to eat your daily fiber requirements but is also a good choice when it comes to your teeth. Parents are encouraged to give their children these types of foods because unlike mushy, processed food, crunchy food helps workout your jaw!
- Even if you’re religiously brushing and flossing your teeth every day, it’s important to go in to see a dentist. It is recommended that you see a dentist for cleanings and checkups twice a year. By doing this, your dentist can catch diseases and cavities before they get worse. Dentists are trained to spot potential issues that need to be treated quickly.
At Foothill Dental Care in Livermore, we care about all our patients who come in for dental care. If you haven’t been to our office in a while, it may be time for teeth cleaning, call Foothill Dental Care in Livermore at (925) 961-5484 to schedule an appointment.
(This information in this blog was researched from https://www.healthline.com)